Data TRIKE Group Update: FINAL!

In this, the last week of the semester, we have worked hard to put the finishing touches on both the presentation and the website. Hannah has created a “Final Task Tracker” in GoogleSheets which details everything that still needs to get done and who is working on it.

The Presentation

We’ve (Hannah taking the lead) revised the presentation to address the helpful comments we received from Andie and Lisa on Tuesday. Hannah reworked the presentation, working in our core principles, a project manifest, and some more images from the website. She also created an animated gif to show how the site works — definitely the most technically challenging part of the presentation. Along with help from Natasha and all of us, she rewrote it a couple times. Now it’s very streamlined and elegant, gets the point across, and still fits in the five-minute slot! We’re still a little concerned that some of the nuances might not come through with less repetition; for instance, the previous version of the presentation mentioned that the DataTRIKE method is flexible, but we don’t think the audience understood that because we only mentioned it once. We also gathered some pictures of ourselves to include in the presentation as well.

The Website

Rob has done another quality assurance pass through the website, to make sure that everything is working correctly, especially links. It looks good so far. Lisa referred to the examples on the site as “case studies,” which we thought was actually the best and most clarifying way to refer to them, so Sabina went back through the website and changing all instances of “exhibit” to “case study.” Sabina also did a second pass through the website to catch any additional QA issues. Finally, the content specialists — Hannah, Natasha and I — checked for and fixed any additional information on the pages.

We also created three additional pages for the site, which will go live soon.

1) Feedback from multiple people suggests that it would be useful to have a page explaining DataTRIKE as a method and pointing out the relationship among our case studies. So, one of our new pages, “How Can I Use Data TRIKE in My Project?” explains the method in a way that emphasizes its flexibility while still making clear what kinds of questions need to be asked and what sorts of steps it may involve. This is the page that gives the project more coherence by making more explicit how someone might work with Data TRIKE.

2) This isn’t an individual page, but we (mostly Hannah and Natasha) reworked our core principles document, adding a fourth principle (though it isn’t fourth in the final list). The new principle: transparency! We wanted to make clear that it’s really important to Data TRIKE to make every possible stage of the data available to our readers. This isn’t really a new principle to the project, of course, but a goal that’s been integral to what we’re trying to accomplish since the beginning. We’ve settled on posting our core principles as part of the “About” page, so that any reader will know what we’re about.

3) Finally, we created a “Resources and Inspirations” page to house our bibliography and a directory of future projects. This draws quite heavily on the bibliography from our final project, so it was easy to create — I dumped everything in a GoogleDoc and we’ve all contributed to trimming it down to the most essential.

Rob has created the pages on the website that will house this content once it’s ready to go. We’re finishing them up right now.

Other than that, the website is closed to new edits! That means we have our minimum viable product ready to go.

Feedback

We’ve now recieved feedback from several sources. Several DH colleagues inside and outside of CUNY have gotten back to us with comments. These comments have been mostly positive, but with some very helpful critiques and suggestions. We will not have time to implement all of them before the presentation, but they are very valuable and have certainly informed our thinking and some of our decisions.

Additionally, Sabina wrote some very thoughtful comments about DataTRIKE as a method and some of the ways that our discussion of DataTRIKE has changed over the course of the semester. She started a great discussion.

Final Report

Last week, I put together a draft of the final report, using the NEH guidelines and drawing on the work we’d previously done for last semester’s report. My teammates had a lot of great, helpful comments about both the content and the organization, and Hannah’s work on the presentation found the right phrasing for a lot of things I wanted to say. So I’ve spent some time this week revising the report in response to comments, and rephrased some things drawing heavily on the presentation. The report is still a draft, but we’re well ahead of schedule. Once the presentation is over, we’ll all have more time to devote to another pass through the report.

And I think that’s what we’ve had so far! I’ve been really lucky to work with such great teammates; collaborations of this quality are rare indeed! I’m very proud of what we’ve accomplished together and I think we’re all excited to share it with the world this Tuesday!

This entry was posted in Group Project Reports and tagged , , , , , , . : . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

*
*

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message